Project Assistant: Yankari Game Reserve
The Nigeria Program of the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is seeking an ethical and responsible Nigerian for the position of ‘Project Assistant’ in Yankari Game Reserve, Bauchi State. The person’s primary responsibility is to provide support to the WCS Yankari Landscape Director for anti-poaching patrols by rangers; biological research and monitoring (with a focus on lions and elephants); environmental education with local schools; helping to manage the elephant guardians and support for general administrative duties. The position will report to the WCS Yankari Landscape Director and will be based in Yankari Game Reserve.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Working with the WCS Yankari Landscape Director and Yankari rangers, the project assistant will:
Support anti-poaching patrols by rangers. The project assistant will provide support for ranger patrols to reduce illegal activities such as hunting and logging.
Provide support for research and monitoring of lions and elephants. Will include use of camera traps and other techniques.
Provide support for the environmental education program with local schools.
Provide training support for rangers and help build local capacity. Participate in regular refresher training for rangers, including training in human rights and help build local capacity through on the job training.
Provide support for SMART in the landscape. This post will require IT skills to support the use of SMART (Spatial Monitoring and Reporting Tool) by all ranger patrols.
Provide support for intelligence gathering, and for court proceedings and prosecution. Will include support for the implementation of a grievance mechanism and management of elephant guardian network.
· Bachelor’s Degree in a biological science or related field.
· Must be a fluent Hausa speaker.
· Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, conservation and sustainable development.
· Willing to undertake long-distance foot patrols with park rangers, and ability to withstand tough field conditions.
· Strong levels of physical fitness and resilience with an effective “roll up the sleeves” work ethic.
· Preferably at least three years successful experience, working in similar position with an NGO (preferred but not essential).
· Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
· Excellent organizational and time management skills.
· The ability to work well as part of a team but also on your own initiative.
· Good IT skills.
· Ability to analyze, prioritize and complete tasks with minimal supervision within strict deadlines.
· Candidate must be a Nigerian national.
Applications should consist of a CV and covering letter. The CV should list three independent professional referees. Contact details for previous employers should also be provided. Please also include details of your salary expectations.
Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org not later than the 18th of March 2020.
No correspondence please, only short-listed candidates will be notified.